Who can apply for Club Plates?

    • Any current financial member of the Norton Owners Club NSW can apply to register a bike that is a minimum of 30 years old. The bike needs to be demonstrably roadworthy and proof of age verified.

    • The age of the bike is determined by the frame not engine number, and the bike should be as original as possible. Safety modifications are permitted, as are period accessories and options.

    • Tritons, i.e. Norton Featherbed frames with Triumph 650cc engines qualify (this does not necessarily mean that any other specials will).

Does the bike have to be a Norton?

    • No, we already have several different makes on club plates.

How many can you have?

    • No limit

It you are late with your Norton Owners Club NSW renewal, how does this affect your legal status on the road?

    • When you register your bike, you must be a financial member of the NOCNSW. If you become unfinancial, your bike is no longer registered and you must hand back the plates to the TfNSW, unless you have joined another authorised club.

When do we inspect bikes?

    • New registrations can now be done at any time, and members should arrange to meet with one of the Inspectors to complete the paperwork.

Who can inspect the bike for roadworthiness?

    • The NOCNSW and TfNSW have jointly approved several machine examiners (inspectors). A list of examiners is supplied to club members. Alternatively, a normal Pink Slip is also accepted.

    • If a Pink Slip is used the club plate registrar needs a copy of it for our records - just like the inspection report is kept on file when one of our machine examiners examines your bike.

How do I get an unregistered bike inspected?

    • Get a trailer or contact the TfNSW as to the current legal method of transporting your unregistered vehicle on a public road. Note that "Traffic" plates are illegal. Alternatively, you might just be able to entice an Inspector to check the bike at your house with sufficient incentives.

What's the actual process?

    1. Obtain and read the Historic Registration Rules pages 1 to 4 (contact Registrar or Secretary for a copy).

    2. Contact a Club Inspector to arrange roadworthy inspection of bike; OR obtain a Safety Inspection Report (Pink Slip) issued by an authorised inspection station examiner.

    3. Contact Club Inspector/Official to verify eligibility and sign TfNSW Historic Vehicle Declaration Form.

    4. Fill out the NOCNSW's Historic Plate Record Sheet and forward to the Club or Branch Registrar.

    5. Fill out the TfNSW Historic Vehicle Declaration Form.

    6. Fill out the TfNSW's Conditional Registration Application Form.

    7. Submit the TfNSW forms to your local Services NSW office (you will need your Club membership card and some ID).

    8. Note: no separate green slip is required under this scheme. Green slip insurance is included in the TfNSW fee. Contact your club registrar or inspector for advice

When you want to let the rego lapse what do you do?

    • You are obliged by Law to return the plate to Services NSW. You do not receive a refund on the plate.

If you sell the bike what do you do?

    • Historic vehicle registration is not transferable and so the plate and rego do not get sold with the bike. You will be selling an unregistered bike! You will need to return the plate to Services NSW.

Is there a need for a pink slip, or a blue slip as well if the bike has not been registered in Australia before?

    • Where people live a distance away from the examiners, any pink slip from an approved service station is acceptable. There is no requirement for a blue slip.

What does it cost?

    • For the first year the fee is $99 and in subsequent years is $57 as of January 2015.

How is this paid?

    • Submit the forms and pay at your nearest Services NSW branch.

Are there restrictions on the use of the rego?

    • Yes, it is not intended as a cheap form of transport. Service runs are permitted within a restricted radius of your home. Otherwise, basically, it is for approved and gazetted club runs and rallies. Commuting is not permitted.

What's meant by service runs? Does it mean you can go around the block to warm and tune your Amals? Does this mean to the bike shop?

      • Yes to both, provided it is within your radius. If not within the radius, you must obtain approval from the Registrar or a club official who will record the movement. 48 hours notice must be given to the Registrar in this case. Use the run permit function on this web site.

What is the radius?

      • The radius is 16 kms from your home.

Approved and gazetted club runs and rallies. What are they?

      • They are runs and rallies which are recorded by the club secretary in the minutes of the monthly meetings or the details of the run/rally are notified in our day book.

Does this include riding the bike to meetings of the club at the Rowing Club?

      • Yes, the monthly General Meetings and Committee Meetings are listed as Club Plate events.

Does it have to be in both the minutes or the day book?

      • Yes.

Can the bike be ridden on other vintage/classic organised events?

      • Yes provided they have invited our club in writing and the secretary records the details of the event in the minutes of the monthly meetings and the details of the run/rally are recorded in the day book.

What is the nature of clubs that can organise an invitation; do they have to be registered in some way?

      • Any TfNSW recognised historic vehicle club that organises their own club plate runs can invite the NOCNSW.

What happens if I get caught riding the bike outside the approved guidelines?

      • The Police and TfNSW will prosecute you for riding an unregistered bike and the NOCNSW could lose the approval to have Historic Registration... in other words you will spoil it for the rest of us! If you're unregistered, you're also uninsured from any angle... consider the consequences!!!!